• Emerging markets lead continued growth: launches in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, trials in Ghana
• Over 125 million DAB+ devices sold to date
• Almost all new cars across Europe now with DAB+ as standard.
17 September 2023 - The continued global growth of DAB+ is highlighted in the latest infographic from WorldDAB, with emerging digital radio territories leading the way, alongside the well-established DAB+ auto market.
The updated graphic, which shows over 125 million DAB+ devices sold to date, and almost all new cars across Europe coming with DAB as standard, was published to coincide with the annual IBC Show in Amsterdam.
WorldDAB, the global industry forum for DAB digital radio – organised an expert conference session for IBC attendees from around the world. Opening the event, Project Director Bernie O’Neill told the audience: “In just the last two months we’ve seen DAB+ successfully on-air in Ghana, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, and a renewed commitment to digital radio development from Thailand. This builds on the ongoing DAB+ rollout across Europe – with significant market expansion well underway in France and Germany, alongside our already established core markets. This continued growth demonstrates that DAB+ provides a firm foundation for radio’s digital future around the world.”
Other highlights from WorldDAB’s infographic, which incorporates newly released data for the first half of 2023, include:
• Cumulative DAB+ receiver sales in the UK break the 50 million barrier, alongside Germany now over 25 million, and Italy over 10 million
• France jumps from 42% to 54.8% population coverage in the last 12 months, with 50% autoroute coverage
• Growth from DAB+ trials in Ghana, Estonia and Montenegro, coupled with launches in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain
WorldDAB’s infographic details the rollout status in 24 emerging markets, including information on trials and population coverage for Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. It also gives a comprehensive overview of DAB receiver sales, road and population coverage, household penetration and the number of national stations on DAB/DAB+ compared to FM.
The new WorldDAB's infographic:
The data in the new infographic will be explored further at the WorldDAB Summit 2023, in Munich on 8 November. The event is free to attend, and more details are available at: https://www.worlddab.org/events/detail/650
Notes: Press Release - WorldDAB - 17 September 2023