Sony camera technology, production servers, HDR converters and reference monitors helped BT Sport broadcast a UEFA Europa League match in 8K.
Basingstoke, UK, 9th March 2020 – Sony Professional has helped BT Sport make broadcasting history by creating a unique production chain to enable the UK’s first public live 8K sports broadcast. The UEFA Europa League match between Arsenal and Olympiacos (round of 32) on the 27th February was transmitted live by BT Sport and its partners using an advanced production workflow based on industry leading products from Sony. These include:
- UHC-8300 – Next-generation 8K camera system operating in S-Log3 (SR Live) mode and featuring an advanced 3CMOS sensor offering simultaneous 8K/4K/HD production in HDR and SDR.
- PWS-4500 – Live production servers, configured for 8K recording and playback.
- HDRC-4000 – Advanced HDR converters providing real-time simultaneous programme output in High Dynamic Range and Standard Dynamic Range
- BVM-HX310 – State-of-the-art TRIMASTER HX™ Professional Master Monitors offering unrivalled 4K HDR picture quality, accuracy and consistency – ideal for demanding on-set, studio and live sports productions
Peter Sykes, Strategic Technology Development Manager at Sony Professional Solutions Europe, explains: “Innovation sits at the heart of everything we do here at Sony with all our products and solutions developed to meet the current and future needs of the global broadcasting industry. With that in mind, we were delighted to be invited by BT Sport to participate in this landmark event, making the first 8K live sports broadcast in the UK a reality. While mainstream 8K broadcast production and content consumption might still be a while off, this has given people a glimpse of what live 8K sports broadcasting – powered by Sony – will look like.”
Info: https://pro.sony/en & Ariston BTS*
* Sony Professional Solutions Specialist & Sony Authorized Service Centre for Hellas and Cyprus
Notes: Press Release - Sony - Basingstoke, UK, 9th March 2020